1. This portrait of Thomas Lovell Beddoes was painted by Nathan C. Branwhite in 1824. The image is reproduced by kind permission of the Master and Fellows of Pembroke College, Oxford.
2. This is the Leonhard Tobler portrait of Thomas Lovell Beddoes from 1847. The pen-and-ink drawing is 8.5 by 10 cm. This portrait was missing and presumed lost until recently, when it was discovered to be in the Berg Collection at the New York Public Library. The image is used by permission of the New York Public Library.
3. This is a 2008 portrait of Thomas Lovell Beddoes by Rosalind Bliss. Image used by permission of Rosalind Bliss.
4. Basle Hospital in Switzerland, the place of Thomas Lovell Beddoes’ death.
5. 1 Rosenglasse in Zurich. Thomas Lovell Beddoes stayed here in 1839 (5th house from left, the small one that sticks out).
6. Another photo of 1 Rosenglasse in Zurich.
7. 11 Schipfe in Zurich. Thomas Lovell Beddoes stayed here in 1835.
8. Charterhouse, where Thomas Lovell Beddoes attended school.
9. Devereux Court. “When I write to Bourne to begin with telling him that I have been dead a fortnight—make my will and say a fine angel wanting to visit Earth pulled on my carcase for a pair of breeches and now inhabits D[evereux] Court.”
10. Edgeworthstown House. Thomas Lovell Beddoes stayed here as a child when visiting his aunt, the novelist Maria Edgeworth, and grandfather, Richard Lovell Edgeworth.
11. The Edgeworthstown House.
12. The Edgeworthstown House library.
13. Rodney Place, where Thomas Lovell Beddoes was born. From The Poetical Works of Thomas Lovell Beddoes, edited by Edmund Gosse with etchings by Herbert Railton (London: J.M. Dent, 1890).
14. Charterhouse, where Thomas Lovell Beddoes attended school. Also from Gosse 1890, above.